Friday, March 19, 2010

Social Media, "Late to the Game"

I’ve come late to the Social Media game and admittedly have a lot of catching up to do. My learning curve has been steep and confusing because the rules of this game are still evolving as new players enter the arena. Should I be on Face Book or Linked In, BlogSpot or You Tube; produce podcasts or upload live video streams? When to tweet, when to digg or when it’s best to text has me perplexed, sometimes a bit vexed because communication shouldn’t be this complex.

I mean, what’s the point of this ‘social media’ phenomenon? Are we trying to network or share ideas or get connected? Is it to create a fifteen minute of fame moment for ourselves, or a vain attempt to follow the lead of the kids whose social media skills are changing everything, including our vocabulary and our daily habits?

No doubt I’m missing the big picture and sweating the small stuff. Trying to figure out how many “friends I’m supposed to have. Who’s a fan versus who’s a friend or a follower and, is it more effective to write on my wall or should I post on yours?

Questions beget more questions. Who’s watching, who’s plotting; who’s getting ready to steal my identity, my passwords or infect me with some dread virus? Should I even be playing this game? I mean, what’s the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis